Saturday, 9 October 2010

Retro Video Games Corner: World Cup '98

· By Dominic Aveiro
With the fading sirens of the World Cup going off into the dark abyss of several football fan’s minds and FIFA 11’s release still fresh in the air, I revisit what I consider the Grandfather of football games.

It was 1998, a massive blue and red cock waved the flag for France, World Cup 98 had begun and fancy that, a video game also came out of it, eh? All the legendary players are there and true to what they’ve always pioneered, EA have kept the authenticity of the actual tournament, teams, groups and stadiums. The gameplay is simply horrendous and I find the squares that were supposedly players an insult to my idols of the football world -- However in 1998, who cared? It didn’t matter what age you were, you would shout at the television, you would curse at a ref’s decision, this game made football accessible on a completely different level. I have spent many rainy evenings watching a game where I haven’t selected a side and just let my imagination run free wondering what it would have been like if Luis Figo had lifted the World Cup.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment on this article but please bear in mind that all comments will be moderated and any racist, homophobic, condescending or otherwise inappropriate comments, as reviewed by the moderators, will not be published.